Monday, July 4, 2011

Final workshop, friday 1st June

I felt pretty anxious about this workshop; not quite sure whether I wanted to see Fiona, Eunice or a new face. However, when I got there, I felt like I could actually bring anybody into my final piece through collaborative work.

Eunice arrived, and I was really pleased to see her. The first thing she said to me, was, "I feel much better today" — and that showed. She seemed much more confident in her drawing skills, wanting to improve on drawings she'd already done and also wanting to look at and use another medium.

She drew her doll once more onto acetate; this time with much more detail. She used the fineliner quite intricately; she introduced shading and gave more shape and trait to portions of the drawing. I think she was much more pleased with this more detailed drawing. I really think that the workshop has been beneficial to Eunice, as she's noticeably become more confident with mark making and the structure and proportions have improved significantly.

Eunice was keen to move onto another process, and I introduced her to clay, and casting her drawings. She didn't really want to draw an object from memory, and really wanted to draw things she saw around her. I wasn't going to stop her; I felt it'd be more beneficial for her to become comfortable with the process rather than forcing her to draw something she'd already drawn multiple times. Whilst I went to mix the plaster, she continued drawing. I handed over the plaster to her and she cast her drawings; ensuring the marks and grooves were deep enough to give enough of a definition and imprint.

Unfortunately she had to leave for physiotherapy before the casting was completely set, so only got to see one of her drawings cast. She seemed to be happy with the work that we'd done, and said that she'd be here to see the Celebration day next Friday. I felt really reassured by Eunice; I feel like she felt completely involved with the work, more confident with her artistic ability and happy to participate in our work.

----

I loved spending this time with Eunice, and I'm really happy to see her confidence in her own artistic ability. I just hope her involvement with our project will give her more confidence still, and inspire her in exploring her memories further. I just hope she's enjoyed the process of exploring the traces of her favourite toy through the mediums I've kind-of provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment